Updated June 1, 2020 1:00pm EST
Beulah Beach is scheduled to open camp on July 5. Please be in prayer for us as we prepare. Our mission remains to see God CHANGE LIVES at Beulah Beach!
• View our Summer Procedures business plan.
• View our updated Health & Safety commitments.
• Click here for an updated 2020 Camp Schedule.
Updated May 1, 2020 9:00am EST
The Beulah Beach Board of Directors met on April 30 and approved the following:
• The 2020 Summer Camp Program, including Day Camp, Overnight Camp, Adult/Family Events, and Beulah on the Road will begin the week of July 5, 2020. Click here for an updated 2020 Camp Schedule. If you have registered for camp prior to this new start date, you will be contacted by Beulah Beach to discuss registration refunds and transfers.
• Beulah Beach Office is open Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm beginning May 4, 2020.
• View our Health & Safety commitments
Updated April 7, 2020 12:00pm EST
Updated March 27, 2020 12:00pm EST
Dear friends of Beulah Beach,
As you all know, these are unique and even very challenging days. We know that many of you have been deeply and personally affected by the COVID-19 virus and its impact on every facet of life. We pray that the Lord will meet you and your family with peace and power and provision in these days.
As the Board of Directors of this camp that we love, we have been meeting (video conferencing) to pray and discuss all the ways in which this season has been (and will continue to be) affecting the ministries of Beulah Beach. Here is what we know:
- God is sovereign and He is good. We start here and we end here. This is the Lord’s camp not ours. We are merely stewards. He is not alarmed nor panicked and therefore neither are we. We have complete confidence that Jesus will bring great Kingdom good out of this circumstance. The camp is in His hands. They are good and strong hands. There is no better place to be than in His care.
- ALL ministries and guest groups have been canceled at the camp in March and for at least the next several weeks, if not longer. This includes school systems with outdoor education programs for their students, guest groups and ministries that rent our facilities for their programs and outreach, as well as the core ministries, retreats and camps of Beulah Beach.
- No one but the Lord knows the future. We do not know when restrictions might be lifted, what future adjustments might be needed or mandated that might affect our camp, when or even if we can kick off the summer camp schedule, or how this situation might impact camp attendance even if meeting restrictions are lifted. God has mightily used this camp for 99 years. We are confident that He will continue to utilize this camp for His glory on into the future. We are just not clear yet what that looks like in the immediate days to come.
- Our revenue stream has completely dried up at the time of year that is leading into our months traditionally of both greatest ministry impact and most significant annual financial income.
- We have worked hard to bring down our debt. Currently only a little more than $500,000 on the Center. We have been making great progress. Thanks to so many of you for your part in that! We have used extra revenue to liquidate debt and therefore have very little reserves set aside. At our current pace we will run out of money around the beginning of May.
- Our director, Ralph Trainer, and his team have demonstrated great financial stewardship and have already cut all unnecessary spending, cut some seasonal and part-time staff, and are preparing for the possibility of even greater cuts that may be necessary. They are doing all of this while at the same time working to prepare for the hoped for eventuality of providing wonderful summer camps and other ministry in the months to come.
The Board is looking into all possibilities and potential decisions that may need to be made. To be honest we do not like many of the options before us financially and are praying for the Lord’s generous provision. We pray for the ‘best’ and, at some level, prepare for the worst. We ask the Lord to give us both bold faith and wise stewardship. Here are some things we are considering (not yet finalized or decided):
- Staff provision. We love the team we have here at Beulah Beach and want to do everything possible to retain them and provide for them.
- Camp scheduling. We move forward with an expectation of opening and providing the best summer camps on the planet. Yet at the same time we wrestle with dates (When do final decisions have to be made?), staffing (How do we proceed with summer staff?), resources (How much do we need minimally to still provide the best camp ministries?), eventualities (What does the future look like if we have a full camp season? Half camp season? Loss of camp season? Full attendance? Half attendance?).
- Finances to carry us over. We are considering the possible need to get a large line of credit (added indebtedness) to carry us through this season when we don’t have any camp and ministry income. None of us want to have to borrow money but it is a distinct possibility.
- Further cuts to staffing and salaries and other planned expenses in the remainder of this calendar year. Again, these are hard things to wrestle with.
Here is what we would request of you, our wonderful Beulah Beach family.
- Would you pray? And then please pray some more. Pray for the team at Beulah Beach. Pray for wisdom for the Board. Pray that camps might be able to open on time for the summer and that attendance will be strong. Pray for the glory of the Lord to shine at Beulah Beach and for many more lives to be eternally transformed.
- As the Lord provides and prompts would you consider what you could give as an investment in the camp’s future during this trying time? Anything given now would help carry us through and also limit our need to borrow from a line of credit.
Thanks for walking with us. God reigns through the cloudy days as well as the sunny. We are confident as we step forward.
For the King and His Kingdom,
The Beulah Beach Board of Directors
Beth Falkenberg, Larry Moore, Dean Ensey, Scott Downing, Terry Tung, Tim Miller, Jim Boscaljon, Tom O’Connell, Gene Hartzler, Thomas George, Jeff Miller
6101 W. Lake Rd. Vermilion, OH 44089
We are a year-round camp and retreat center, focused on engaging guest to encounter Christ!
We believe in the power of camp and we exist to see lives forever changed for the Kingdom of God.
Every year dedicated volunteers and individuals spend countless hours and resources helping to make Beulah Beach a better place. Click here to get involved!